Employment Solutions

Canada-Ontario Job Grant

A cost-shared investment by employers and the government for employee skills training. Employers can apply for the grant to purchase training for new and existing employees.


Small businesses with fewer than 100 employees are eligible for:

  • 5/6 reimbursement of training costs; up to $10,000 per trainee or;
  • 100% reimbursement of training costs when hiring unemployed new hires; up to $15,000 per trainee

Large businesses with 100+ employees are eligible for:

  • 1/2 reimbursement of training costs; up to $10,000 per trainee

Reimbursement is paid in two parts: 70% upon receipt of training receipts and the remaining 30% upon training completion

  • Training should result in new or better jobs for trainees, including an increase in wages or hours, or retaining employees at risk of being laid-off
  • Employers must have WSIB or Alternative Workplace Safety Insurance
  • Business owners are ineligible to participate as trainees
  • Trainees must be Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or Refugees
  • Training must occur in Ontario and be completed within one year
  • Workshops, conferences, and consulting services are ineligible
  • Complete the online application form via the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development website: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/eopg/cojg/
  • Applications must be submitted 2-3 weeks minimum before training start date to provide sufficient time for the approval process
  • Approval is not guaranteed and the training cannot take place until approval is received

If you are interested in pursuing an application and would like assistance with this process, or for more information on this program, reach out to us at:

Sault Ste. Marie Office
Blind River Office

Best Grants for Employers